Welcome to 2014! We’re into a brand new year and I for one am looking forward to trying an array of wonderful dishes over the course of the next four seasons. To kick Bon Vivant off to a rousing start, this week’s Meatless Monday recipe features a bevy of garden lovelies, cherry tomatoes.
This Roasted Cherry Tomato Rotini dish which is presented for your edible pleasure is sure to tempt your palate with the goodness of tomatoes roasted with balsamic vinegar, garlic and red pepper flakes. Fresh herbs will bring the outdoors in while sturdy whole wheat pasta is the anchor that keeps it all together. For those who, like me, enjoy a bit of texture in their dishes, you’re in luck; toasted pine nuts add an earthy quality and a great crunch.
If and when you try this week’s recipe, please do enjoy, and bon appetit!
Roasted Cherry Tomato Rotini
- 1 pound red cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound yellow cherry tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons garlic, slivered
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into chiffonade
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces low fat ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- pecorino cheese*, to taste
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Place a large pot of salted water on the stove over medium-high heat.
Place the tomatoes inside a large baking dish. Toss the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender. Remove from the oven and toss with the basil, parsley and oregano.
When the water boils, cook the rotini according to package directions, or until the pasta is al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Toss the pasta with the olive oil, add the tomatoes with their juices and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until pasta and tomatoes are heated through.
Add the ricotta cheese and cook, stirring for about 1 minute, or until the ricotta melts. Remove from heat, divide into 6 portions, sprinkle with pine nuts and pecorino cheese, if using, and enjoy!